A common question I get is what is the difference between a branding photoshoot, and when should you book one? How is this different from a traditional headshot photoshoot?
In this blog post, I’m diving into the details about the difference between branding photoshoots and traditional headshot or portrait sessions.
When I’m on a client call, I start by asking what your needs are and why you’re interested in having photos done for your business. I’ll often hear something along the lines of:
“So I think I need portraits…I need a couple of regular headshots of me. Not like a super fancy one, just casual. Then I also need photos of me working. Can I have people model as my clients? How does this work? I also need some photos that are kind of like stock photos, but not quite… does any of this make sense?”
Girl, yes. It makes total sense!
The type of photography you’re looking for is called branding photography. It’s not quite a headshot photoshoot, not quite a lifestyle photoshoot, not quite a product photoshoot… but it is everything in between!
What a branding photoshoot is not
To make a little more sense about what a branding photoshoot is, I’ll start by saying what a branding photoshoot is NOT:
- Stuffy, traditional headshots in suits and pencil skirts
- Just photos of you and your (beautiful) face
- Quick, one-and-done photos where you only get 2-3 files
To sum it up, branding photoshoots are the exact opposite of your high school yearbook pictures where you just show up, smile, and hope they got a good one!
What a branding photoshoot is
How do I define branding photoshoot?
A branding photoshoot is a strategic photoshoot where you receive a library of professional photos that showcase you, your business, and your personality.
The final photos you receive from a branding session are headshots with flair. They are thoughtful, planned-out, and strategic. They show your personality. They’re fun (words from a previous client: “well, that was a lot more fun than someone standing there and telling me to smile!)
They showcase you in your element.
From a traditional headshot session, you might receive, one, two, MAYBE three retouched photos. That’s it. You get the one winner to use across your entire online presence. With branding photos, you get an entire library of winners. Whenever you need a photo for anything – your website, email list, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, seriously ANYTHING – you can draw from this library.
When should I book a branding photoshoot?
If you run your own business, there are a few reasons why you might want a brand shoot. Here are a few common ones:
- When you are building out a new website. I always recommend having custom photography for new websites. You don’t want to get stuck using generic stock images and outdated headshots across all of your pages.
- Before a product or service launch. Are you launching a new course? Podcast? Product line? Service? It might be time for branding photos!
- During a rebrand. Are you taking your biz in a new direction? It’s definitely time to get updated photos to reflect your new brand.
- If you’ve relocated to a new locale. You should definitely get updated photos that reflect your new home.
And finally, I highly recommend booking a branding photoshoot when you are ready to get serious about growing your business.
Want to start now? I’ve got two things you can do today:
- Book a free Discovery Call with me where we can dive into your business goals and aspirations. I’ll be able to tell you if you’re ready for a Brand Experience Session!
- Download my free Brand Photo Quickstart Guide and learn about the 3 types of photos you NEED for your business. Hint: you can start upping your brand photo game TODAY with this guide!